Friday, October 08, 2010

Beyon Eden



BEYOND EDEN
Oct 9 - 10, 2010
A multi-gallery event celebrating the new contemporary art scene in Los Angeles

LA Municipal Art Gallery at Barnsdall Park
4800 Hollywood Blvd.,
Los Angeles, CA 90027
www.lamag.org

Event site:
www.beyondedenartfair.com


Beyond Eden is a multi gallery event of some of my favorite Los Angeles galleries and artists. As usual however I noticed there were very few women in the show. Knowing these galleries they all have many more great women in there line up. I did an informal count of listed artists it seems there are about 10 female artists out of 71 artists total. Probably a common percentage of women represented artists by most galleries everywhere if I did the research. FYI "Guerrilla Girls" have done studies if your interested in exact numbers.

We all know this is not unusual in the art world or any other business for that matter. I just feel that we need to "notice" when it happens. Instead of being complacent and saying, "Yea that's just how it is". Acknowledge it and point out that it sucks! I know these galleries are putting there top money makers in the show and it is a business, I get that. However I can still wish, hope and pray that young forward thinking people would be more socially and globally aware of what they are doing and use there power for the good of all men and omg women too.

I encourage you to notice these injustices and speak out about them believe me it does help when they are brought to the attention of artists and galleries. Los Angeles is a mecca for forward unbiased, nonsexist, non-racist artists and gallery owners that will keep moving forward to unify all of us.

I just can't wait for it to start for women. If these highly progressive galleries are not aware or willing to bring there strong women forward we still have much work to do.


I want to be clear that I love and respect the owners of these galleries and consider many good friends. It's important to realize this is not a hostel attack on them and the opportunities they have given many young artists has been invaluable. Including me I too show with two of these great galleries. I just feel it is important to be aware and bring these issues to the attention of all.

Please, Please, Please be aware of equality when ever you can.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.





View Site Stats




Digg!