Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Laguna Art Museum /// Art Appraisal Clinic


Art Appraisal Clinic
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
1:00-3:00 p.m. 
Free admission, $10.00 per item
.
Visit Laguna Art Museum on Tuesday, February 5 to have your art appraised by experts from Bonhams, the third-largest auction house in the world, which specializes in the appraisal and sale of fine art. As with “The Antiques Roadshow,” this is your chance to find out what unexpected treasures you may own. Bring in your item(s) to receive an informal (i.e. not written) auction value appraisal. Admission to the museum is free, and the appraisal cost is $10.00 per item. Proceeds benefit the museum’s education and exhibition programs.


Wow, what a pleasant series of events happened today. I was on the Face this morning and saw the Laguna Art Museum had posted they were having an "Antiques Road Showish" event. I decided to drive out there and was really glad I did. What an interesting experience and beautiful ride. I felt like I WAS at Antiques Road Show, so surreal. I really wish I could have spent more time there.  The staff at the museum were really wonderful as well as the representatives from Bonhams. Not only is Laguna a beautiful beach the Mexican Restaurant next door has a great Margarita and sea bass ceviche.

Back to the Art Appraisal Clinic...As some of you know I have started to try and find out if this jacket my daughter got as a gift around 2000-03 is a Mike Kelley Jacket. My friend Wendy was the one who bought it for our daughter when she was about 4 or 5. She just said, "I don't know I bought it from some crazy artist I used to party with down the street (in Silverlake). I plan to go back to her and show her Mike Kelley photos and also get the address where his place was. I think that could help to figure out who made it.  So I thought I should take this jacket to the "Clinc" maybe they can help me.

The first few people I spoke to didn't know who Mike Kelley was. Needless to say I was startitng to get discouraged. I saw very few 20th century work at the my first section I was to report to. After a few painless detours I was lead to Sharon Goodman Squires from Bonhams. She was so wonderful! Not only was she super enthusiastic about the jacket she also had a couple of interesting things to share and suggest.  She basically said that, the piece is hand made and nothing I know about it would suggest it couldn't be but she didn't really know. She said if it was a Mike Kelley piece that I wouldn't get much for it. Needless to say I wouldn't sell it unless it helped send my girl to university. She also suggested that I try to contact his studio they may be able to tell me. So I will carry on and hopefully at least find out who the artist is whether it is MK or not.



Art Appraisal Clinic
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
1:00-3:00 p.m. 
Free admission, $10.00 per item
.
Visit Laguna Art Museum on Tuesday, February 5 to have your art appraised by experts from Bonhams, the third-largest auction house in the world, which specializes in the appraisal and sale of fine art. As with “The Antiques Roadshow,” this is your chance to find out what unexpected treasures you may own. Bring in your item(s) to receive an informal (i.e. not written) auction value appraisal. Admission to the museum is free, and the appraisal cost is $10.00 per item. Proceeds benefit the museum’s education and exhibition programs.
.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.





View Site Stats




Digg!